This is only for adventurers who want to visit Antananarivo, Tamatave, Soanierana Ivongo, Mananara and Maroantsetra by 4x4. It is an overland tour in Madagascar. Indeed, the road RN5 from Soanierana to Mananara and Maroantsetra is the most difficult but the scenery is the most beautiful. Strongly recommended for naturalist and explorer, this is your roadmap if you want to see the aye-aye or Daubentonia Madagascariensis. The area is also known for vanilla, coffee, cinnamon, cloves, and rice plantation. Few people talk about this blue triangle, as this is an unexplored region for tourism and unknown by common tour operator and travel agency in Madagascar. You will enjoy the tour as real Madagascar experience for wildlife and beach. You may have a chance to see humpback whale from the 4x4 while driving up and down hills especially from between June and October. This proposal is a very fair price if you realize that the 4x4 must drive back empty along the same extreme road from Maroantsetra to Antananarivo and pay again the ferry, toll and fuel added to the expense of the driver and mechanics. This proposal can be customized to fits your length of stay.
DETAIL OF TOUR
Day 01 Antananarivo – Tamatave
Beggining of a lovely experience in Madagascar. Scenic drive to Tamatave. The landscape is beautiful and varied with highlands, rice fields and palm trees. Stop according to the interest. Night at hotel Generation in Tamatave.
Day 02 Tamatave - Foulpointe - Soanierana Ivongo
Tour of the city of Tamatave : Bazary be, the cityhall with palm trees, and the long beach in front of the biggest ports of Madagascar. Departure to Foulpointe, located 90 Km north of Tamatave. You will drive along the coast where you can buy coconuts straight from the roadside. Visit of the Fort Manda of Foulpointe on the way. This is a historic site built in the 19th century to prevent foreign invasion from sea. The thick, timeless walls are made of eggshells, sand and water. The Fort Manda is an old building with no furniture left. People bring offerings to the old tree in the yard to seek blessings from the ancestors' spirits. Continuation to Fenerieve Est and Soanierana Ivongo in afternoon. Arrival scheduled late in afternoon. Night at Ivongo Hotel or camping
Day 03 Soanierana Ivongo – Antanambe
Breakfast at 6 :00am, you will drive to the river of Soanierana Ivongo to cross the river by ferry. The transfer will last around 30mn. You can say goodbye to the paved road. A very nice experience along a tough road is waiting for you right after the ferry. Drive along a flat road with deep pothole before arriving to a sandy road. You will cross five (05) ferries. Lunch on your expense on the road. You can forget your watch as you will travel in a very Malagasy mind with mora-mora time – slowly slowly – and you will arrive when you arrive. Night at hotel Grondin or Camping
Day 04 Antanambe
Visit of Mananara national park in Verezanantsoro circuit : Discover an exuberant vegetation where the environment is totally dominated by nature. You will walk along the coast of cloves and vanilla plantations in a beautiful landscape, amazing panoramic view before diving into the heart of a low-altitude forest with exceptional biodiversity with lemurs (Indri, Black-and-white ruffed lemur), and birds…Picnic lunch at the edge of a waterfall. Swimming at the natural swimming pool of Tolongoala. Return to the village in afternoon. Night at hotel Grondin or Camping
Day 05 Antanambe – Nosy Atafana - Sahasoa
Departure from Antanambe in the morning and drive up and down hills next to the seashore until Sahasoa. The most difficult part of the road starts from here.
Some people prefer to do this section by boat in their charge in order to have time for snorkelling around Nosy Atafana. Nosy Atafana is a Marine National Park, a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve with best coral reefs in the Indian Ocean and where the marine ecosystem is truly impressive. The transfer can be arranged in Antanambe as it is extra and optional.
Sahasoa is a nice place to discover socio-cultural richness of the village and the values of the natural resources. You could fully benefit from the sustainable and fair tourism of the local inhabitants. Night at hotel Lodge Villageoise
Day 06 Sahasoa – Mananara
Continuation of the adventure: Leaving the hotel early in morning and heading straight towards to Mananara-Nord. Drive past different typical village of the region. This is the toughest section of the road up and down hills full of rock and mud. The most important is trying to do the best to arrive to Mananara before 4:00pm. You can go to Ambitsika if you arrive earlier. Around 4:00 pm, departure for "Roger Island" to observe the rarest nocturnal lemur called Aye Aye or daubentonia madagascariensis which are vulnerable to extinction. Night at hotel Chez Roger
Day 07 Mananara – Maroantsetra
Departure from Mananara as early as possible and cross the river of Ambatondrahilana by ferry with magnificent panorama on rocks and small island full of birds. Drive along flat and easy road before the hills of Manambolosy. Along this road, you will enjoy the local atmosphere. According to the season, villages are smelling vanilla or the forest is smelling cloves. You may loose time waiting for the ferry. This is a part of the adventure on RN5. You are likely to arrive to Maroantsetra in evening but don't be surprise if you have to sleep in Rantambe as this RN5 is full of surprise. Night at hotel Coco Beach in Maroantsetra
Day 08 Maroantsetra
Spare day in Maroantsetra to make sure that you have enough time to enjoy the road. Here are two possibilities :
(1) Sometimes, it is not possible to drive from Mananara to Maroantsetra in one day for some reason beyond our control. In that case, you will have this spare day to drive from Rantambe to Maroantsetra.
(2) With chance, you may drive Mananara - Maroantsetra in one day the day before (day 07). Then, you can choose an activity in Maroantsetra on your charge. We highly recommend to have an excursion to Nosy Mangabe by boat or to make a city tour with local guide. You can just relax at your hotel as well after a few days tiring drive along the RN5. Our driver will assist you to arrange what you want to do as far as he can.
Note : Hotel for this night is NOT INCLUDED as we consider this day as the last day on RN5.
END OF OUR SERVICE once you arrive to your hotel in evening
Important Notice :
- This proposal online is set in economy price with consideration of tourism standard. It may change according to the season and circumstance
- The online offer is a mix of midrange hotel and simple hotel with clean room and private shower. It is highly recommended to ask for midrange hotel for your comfort if necessary.
- Price is per person sharing room as double ocuupancy. Departure is guarantee from 02 person. Contact us for single price
- Are included into the price: 4X4, fuel, driver speaking French or English with his accommodation and food, ferry and toll, all listed activities (entrance and guide of park, night walk), your hotel and breakfast, drive back expense from Maroantsetra to Antananarivo
- Are NOT included: all food, lunch, diner, picnic, beverage and alcohol, additional activities, tips
- Please to specify if you need an AC car while booking otherwise you may have no-AC car
- Payment modality: bank transfer or VISA/Master Card or CASH on arrival. We accept USD and Euro with exchange rate online.
- Contact us for further detail. You can ask for tailor made tour according to your length of stay, your wish-to-see-list, your category of hotel, and your budget